A Journey In Consciousness

Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Song of Samadhi


It is because the experience of Samadhi has been so interwoven into my reality for such a long time that many things that are offered as spiritual teachings out there are not acceptable to me. I can simply ask, will it lead to Samadhi? And I can see if it does not or cannot.

This way of looking at things, however, is the byproduct of 35 years of being immersed in teachings that from the start did point at this experience. So, perhaps I was just lucky.

I did ask myself, though, if I were to start the spiritual journey today, how I would be looking at things? What would be my situation? I have to use my imagination here, because it is not my situation.

And I can only think that I would be in a very tough spot, not knowing that I am in a tough spot. My situation would be of the neophyte. The neophyte exists without any points of reference as to what represents spiritual essence and how to bring about the flowering of spiritual essence in one’s life. It is like being blindfolded and being told to look for an apple in a room. You don’t know how the apple looks like in the first place and you don’t know if you are in the right room. So, things are difficult.

But we learn from experience. Hopefully. The other day I read that Madonna is now leaving her association with certain spiritual teachings, or more importantly, certain spiritual teachers. I almost felt sorry for her. There she is, an adept in the ways of acquiring material wealth, fame, power, etc, but as far as spiritual matters is concerned, she is just a baby. That particular combination of material achievement and spiritual ignorance is amazing to observe … from my point of observation.


So, what to look for? Wisdom and intelligence. That is my number one choice. Immediately followed by love and kindness. Then there should be power. These three aspects represent a trinity that I personally respond to.

Teachings that require no practice? Oh, yes, there are those. Escape quickly.

The neophyte is in a difficult position. He is like a person who has been starving for many days. If you put a plate before him with a few crumbs of old bread, it will look like a meal to him. He does not know or remember what a real meal looks like or even a banquet. Only once he has seen both and can compare, will he wake up and look at the crumbs and say… forget it.

In my opinion, many spiritual teachings and activities out there … are just crumbs. If you eat them, they won’t satisfy for long. Dissatisfaction will be waiting around the corner.


Perhaps it will be helpful, indeed, to have a conversation with God. So, when you are in the mode, ask Her to bring into your life spiritual teachings that are equal to a celebration. Ask for a feast to be given in your honor. Ask that you will be deeply nourished with Wisdom, Love and Power. Ask that your soul’s thirst be quenched by the best of Divine Champagne. And do not stop asking until the party begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Web Counter